top of page

Q197 - Cacti, Oh My!


An inexperienced employee was using a piece of heavy machinery to push dirt and clear vegetation at a worksite was severely injured when a large cactus fell over him and onto his lap. He received surgery, was prescribed antibiotics and instructed to take several weeks off of work by his doctor. Is it recordable?


YES. The injury was work-related and resulted in a recommendation to take time off by a licensed healthcare professional. This incident should be recorded as a days away incident on the OSHA log.

Basic requirement. You must consider an injury or illness to be work-related if an event or exposure in the work environment either caused or contributed to the resulting condition or significantly aggravated a pre-existing injury or illness. Work-relatedness is presumed for injuries and illnesses resulting from events or exposures occurring in the work environment, unless an exception in §1904.5(b)(2) specifically applies

How do I record a work-related injury or illness that results in days away from work? When an injury or illness involves one or more days away from work, you must record the injury or illness on the OSHA 300 Log with a check mark in the space for cases involving days away and an entry of the number of calendar days away from work in the number of days column. If the employee is out for an extended period of time, you must enter an estimate of the days that the employee will be away, and update the day count when the actual number of days is known.

Email for sponsorship opportunities.


bottom of page